Wednesday 12 March 2014

Hong Kong Food blog with Kids - reasons, premise....



I sit here, kicking myself for a number of reasons.  It's been less than 6 months since my last trip to Hong Kong.  After the last trip, I decided:

1. To never blog again (especially travel) - sure, they were good in their time, but the internet's moved on and Instragram means I can take lots of photos with little text; and 

2. Never visit HK again.  After all there are many other places to visit in the world and, as one South African lady we met at a taxi rank near IFC said (she lives there): "I have a love/hate relationship with Hong Kong".  This increases significantly when trying to get 4 children around the place (I will add, that a couple of small decisions had a big impact on our trip, which were my fault).

Ironically, it's after the nostalgia kicks in that you start thinking "maybe" again.  I am.  So I look at Instagram at all the #hashtags that are HK related.  Somehow it feels hollow.  I like them, but where's the substance?

So, I end up (through my good friend google) coming across blogs.  Some of them recent, even.  Maybe the blog isn't dead after all.  Food, travel, more food.

Hence, here I am.  Writing a food-ish blog.  I stifle my own self-loathing by saying "it's for posterity's sake, so I don't forget stuff" and "maybe others will be happy seeing a food blog on HK, the same as I was".  

I suppose one big difference is: I am an Aussie (first gen from multiple nationalities) with 4 kids and that will form part of the premise of this blog.  

You see, most bloggers (English speaking ones) are either expats (English, American, Aussie) living there, or food/travel blogs written by Singapore/Malaysian Chinese - who can read enough Chinese characters to get by, yet write well in English.  They are generally either single, or a young couple.  They are generally brought up on their Chinese food, so the approach is different.

If someone has kids, they'll think "great, you can stay at Chungking Mansions or another hostel; fit into tiny cafes, but what about us?".  This hopefully fills a gap in blogland, and I hope that someone gets something from it.

Okay, enough narcissistic introspective, lets get onto the food (and travel).  These aren't in any particular order, just what the photos I took remind me of.

No comments:

Post a Comment